Friday, June 3, 2011

The Weekend Report: In The Company of Freaks

I have never been more eager to just catch a bus to New York on some random day so that I could finally see The Tree of Life, because most of the alternatives just aren't favorable. Before I get into the new releases, of which there is one major one, I should tell you what you should see this weekend, if you haven't already: Thor, Bridesmaids, and Kung Fu Panda 2. That's the mass of the wide releases that I recommend. I've already chimed in on X-Men: First Class today, and if you've read my review, you'll know that I'm no fan of the latest installment.

I expect that many will see it and enjoy, regardless of what I personally think, but I endear any readers to look elsewhere for quality entertainment. Anything worth viewing is in limited release, and even then is my recommendation only mild. Submarine and Beginners are the quirky comedy offerings of this weekend, and while Submarine feels far too self-aware, Beginners seems to perhaps be a bit too light. I guess that's all one can expect of a indie comedy. It's dry weekends of this year like these that make me wish for the qualified offerings of yesteryear.

No comments:

Post a Comment