Friday, June 17, 2011

Can I talk about "Fringe" again?

What can I say? Once you're hooked, you're hooked. More than any other show on television, and in fact more than any film releasing this year, I love talking about Fringe. It's such a shame that I rarely get the chance to actually have a one-on-one conversation with somebody about it, because so few people watch it. It's a shame, and the show is, sadly, probably about to have its last season before cancellation. If that doesn't come to pass, then I am extremely grateful. However, I'm not here to plead for the mercy of my favorite show on television. I'm here to take guesses and make suggestions on next season.

Since that mystifying final scene of Season 3, people have settled on what those moments actually mean. It doesn't mean a season of obsessive time-traveling to find Peter, but instead means telling their story in a new light. If last season was about the choices we make, this season is about the experiences we have. The question is no longer "Where is Peter?", but instead is "What is life like without Peter?" Honestly, that's a much more interesting and fascinating question. Taking guesses as to what will happen is difficult, and almost pointless, but I'm doing it anyway.

In respects to Walter, it's still to be seen whether his life is better or worse without Peter. His son was the light of his life, and his legal guardian that kept him from being sent back to St. Claire's. One theory, and in fact my only theory at the present time, is that he's been looked over by his wife, Elizabeth, who never committed suicide because she didn't feel the guilt of Peter's kidnapping. It would certainly give him a whole new dynamic to play off of emotionally, and I'd be more than happy to see Orla Brady return to the series in a more evident fashion.

Astrid and Broyles are both practically the same, neither of them having formed complete relationships with Peter that would have defined them. However, you never really know with the writers behind Fringe. That leaves Olivia, who is perhaps severely changed from the way she was before. She still had the cortexiphan trials as a young girl, but she doesn't have Peter, who really served as her rock. So who else to fill that void than our Lincoln Lee, who she didn't meet at the time because she was possessed by Leonard Nimoy. Now that Seth Gabel is a regular on the show, maybe he will fill that void. I kind of liked the "Peter and Olivia" plot, but it didn't totally work with me. Maybe Olivia and Lincoln were meant to be together in both worlds.

Talking of which, there's also the storyline of the two universes finally creating an alliance to save their worlds. If done right, this could be a wonderful change for the show. If the writers have any sense, which I'm sure they do, they could make this season take the form of a science-fiction political drama. Sure, you can throw in the regular doses of action and lab work, but the most intriguing part of this season will be seeing the two universes create some sort of living situation, or some sort of democracy. I like action, but I care more about the politics.

And then there's the future, which we saw hints of in the grim season finale. I know that we obviously won't be actively seeing it anymore, but there are the implications of what happens. Will we eventually see exactly what Broyles and the team lost in Brooklyn? That's one such question that may be answered. Also, will Walter be put on trial for his misdeeds, because that would be a particularly interesting thing to see. Will we see Ella taking some first steps towards following in her aunt's footsteps? All things I'd love to see.

But, of course, where the hell did Peter go? That's the question nobody can seem to answer, and amongst the only credible theories now is that he's become an observer. Interesting, but I just don't quite think so. Some think that maybe he shows up and wonders why nobody remembers him. I think the observers are a little smarter than that, because if they want to erase somebody from existence, they better do it damn well. I have no theories, but I remain assured that the question will be answered when we return this fall. It will be answered to some extent anyway.

And if I may make my own personal request, I'd like to see a case being left unresolved at the end of one episode, and carry on into the next episode when another case comes into the mix. I think that'd be an interesting story to tell, because we can't assume that every case will be solved by the end of a 42 minute episode.

1 comment:

  1. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

    Stop reminding me that I must wait till September to watch it! and that it'll likely be ignored at the EMMY's (again)! Can't you just live without bringing this up!!!!!!

    Just Kidding.

    I'm excited for this new season, I mean will it begin where season 3 left of or will we see n episode completely devoted to people that were affected by Peter and what happened to them now that Peter never existed (it probably would be to much though)?

    I think he really is gone, and the only way to bring him back is to actually like think of him, remembering him. I keep having thoughts of how if that happens it'll be like Peter Pan reviving Tinker Bell because of how much he beleives, maybe they all need to do that.

    Oh and what'll they do with FauxOlivia's baby? What if she still has but now Frank is the father?

    And I cannot wait to see how both universes will react to each other, it'll be epic.

    ReplyDelete