No box office analysts could have predicted the turn this weekend would take, and everything stopped dead in its tracks when news came up from Friday morning. Box office statistic were thoughtfully abated until Monday, so as to not trivialize the tragic events looming over this weekend. Needless to say "The Dark Knight Rises" probably would have fared much better had none of this happened, with some saying it was on track for upwards of $200 million, stomping out "The Avengers"' stronghold over this summer. Christopher Nolan action flick still did rather well in comparison to ordinary releases, even if it didn't come close to setting records. Expect this film to just barely skip past $400 million by the end of its run.
Box office in general took a heavy dive this weekend; with scarcely a single film dropping below 50%. The two occasions in the top ten were "Brave", likely benefiting from the "go out and see a film without people you love" statement many pushed at the start of the weekend. "The Amazing Spider-Man" took the nastiest dive, smothering chances of it getting anywhere close to $300 million. "Ted" is seeming more and more like the success story of the summer, playing favorably with most crowds. Indie films "Moonrise Kingdom" and "To Rome With Love" continue to be some of the strongest holders on the box office.
1. "The Dark Knight Rises" (First Weekend; $160.9 million)
2. "Ice Age: Continental Drift" (Second Weekend; $20.4 million; $88.8 MILLION TOTAL)
3. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Third Weekend; $10.9 million; $228.6 MILLION TOTAL)
4. "Ted" (Fourth Weekend; $10 million; $180.4 MILLION TOTAL)
5. "Brave" (Fifth Weekend; $6 million; $208.8 MILLION TOTAL)
6. "Magic Mike" (Fourth Weekend; $4.3 million; $102 MILLION TOTAL)
7. "Savages" (Third Weekend; $3.4 million; $40.1 MILLION TOTAL)
8. "Madea's Witness Protection" (Fourth Weekend; $2.3 million; $60.3 MILLION TOTAL)
9. "Moonrise Kingdom" (Ninth Weekend; $1.8 million; $36.1 MILLION TOTAL)
10. "To Rome With Love" (Fifth Weekend; $1.4 million; $11.1 MILLION TOTAL)