Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mischief Managed: Epilogue to "Potter"


Well, I guess this is quite effectively, and permanently, it for the Harry Potter phenomenon that has been going on for more than a decade now. If I haven't made it clear already, I'd like to say how severely sorry I am that I didn't love Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. However, the feeling I have, more than anything at this very moment, is utter disbelief. I start to wonder exactly what it was that people saw in this film that 97% of critics, according to Rotten Tomatoes, gave it the go ahead. I know Rotten Tomatoes isn't a very reliable source for how good a film is, and I learned to disregard them a while back.

Still, the movie that I saw was rather sloppy, stiff, silly, and unrefined in most aspects. Yes, it tied up the story, but it didn't take time and effort to make it the best it could be. And it seems like they're completely fine with what they made, as the final shot of the film features our main characters grinning so self-righteously. The film is, as we speak, demolishing box office records left and right, so what I have to say doesn't really matter. I'm not pretending that it does. It gets to the point where I can't be held accountable for what you are likely to like or dislike. The best and worst decision I ever made was to review films honestly from my own point of view. That does polarize you from quite a few of your readers.

All things aside, I am still a fan of the Harry Potter series, be it a tad less fanatical. I thought that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, my favorite of the franchise, was fully deserving of Academy recognition. Today, it doesn't surprise me why they didn't, as they've made a handful of poor decision in the past. Much like the Emmys, Golden Globes, and such, the Oscars isn't a definite scale of greatness. The series hasn't exactly escalated or declined in quality. It's been up and down for the past decade. As example: 1 > 2 < 3 > 4 > 5 < 6 > 7.1 > 7.2

Years from now, I don't believe that we'll look at the Harry Potter series as a cinema changing phenomenon. If nothing else, we'll see it as a box office mark that's yet to be surpassed. It does have a place in my heart as a strong part of my life, but it's been deceptively abusive. My exit from the series is much more melancholic than the films' iteration. So thank you for what we had. I'm sorry it didn't work out in the end. Although, if Warner Bros. is still looking for a way to grab money from the series, they could make a prequel about the Marauders (Sirius, James, Remus, Wormtail) and the first war against Voldemort. Just saying. So here's my final ranking of the Harry Potter films.
 
1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Deathly Hallows: Part 1
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Half-Blood Prince
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Deathly Hallows: Part 2
7. Chamber of Secrets
8. Order of the Phoenix

1 comment:

  1. My theory as to why it has such positive reviews is, since they didn't like Part 1, they were glad that it picked up the pace quicker and finished in less then 2 hours.

    Pretty sure remakes will come a few decades from now, I wouldn't mind since maybe someone could improve it.

    Another idea would be an adaptiond of The Life & Lies of Dumbledore, why else would that get cut from the movie(s), cause its already in production!

    ReplyDelete