Saturday, July 30, 2011

Film to See in 2011: August

This will be a bit of an unorthodox edition of this monthly column, mostly due to the fact that I can't say I'm truly ecstatic about any of the films releasing this August. In any case, I'll be busy this month catching up on films I've missed out on over the past couple months. Meek's Cutoff and Tabloid are two films I'm eagerly waiting to see, and I'll be sitting down this afternoon for Crazy, Stupid, Love, so it's very much a reserved time of the year. In my opinion, it's a month too many in a Summer that has long since become redundant. Still, there are a few films probably worth checking out.

I can't say I feel anything but contempt for The Change-Up, which stacks together the repetitive Jason Bateman and the much maligned Ryan Reynolds. Rise of the Planet of the Apes has been artificially cold on the radar for quite some time. The Help honestly looks insipid, and sadly what you'd expect to see from it. 30 Minutes or Less could be fun, but it lacks the emotional core that made Zombieland enjoyable in the first place. No comment on Final Destination 5, Glee's concert film, Spy Kids 4, or Columbiana, and that's for good reason.

Conan the Barbarian holds no interest for me as long as it stars anyone other than Conan O' Brien. Fright Night could've been very interesting, but the script looks to squander the talent at hand. One Day looks like unbelievable schmaltz and irritation, and it sets Lone Scherfig as yet another one hit wonder. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark looks like it could keep me up late at night, but it could also be another failed attempt at horror greatness. Our Idiot Brother might be really funny, but the marketing seems to be against it. The last film of the month is The Debt, which could go either way. I remain optimistic.

2 comments:

  1. The only films I'm interested in are One Day because I loved the novel, Fright Night mainly for David Tenant and Colin Farrel, and maybe Rise of the planet of the Apes and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

    Oh and after dropping Midnight in Paris a few weeks ago it'll be back in my local theaters next week, I might watch it again but it kind of annoys me why in terms of limited release that's all here in my town will get. We'll definitely never get Tabloid and I doubt The Tree of Life is coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I traveled an hour to see "Midnight in Paris", and nearly three hours to see "The Tree of Life". Both times I considered the travel more than worth it.

    ReplyDelete