Saturday, February 6, 2010

Best Picture Nominations: Seen 6 out of 10

I find the Oscar season quite frustrating at the moment. While the expansion to ten film in the best picture race make it more likely that I've actually seen some of the films on the list, I'm still having trouble getting to see some of them. I'm recently discovering the side affects of living in such a remote region of such a desolate state. The following list is of the films nominated for Best Picture, and the ones I've seen are highlighted and have my overall grades for them next to them:

Avatar (2.9 out of 4 stars)
The Blind Side
District 9 (3.8 out of 4 stars)
An Education
The Hurt Locker (3 out of 4 stars)
Inglourious Basterds (4 out of 4 stars)
Precious
A Serious Man
Up (4 out of 4 stars)
Up in the Air (4 out of 4 stars)

Now you may have noticed I've adjusted my grades for Avatar and The Hurt Locker given the benefit of a repeat viewing, but most of my opinions stand. I don't have any real interest in seeing The Blind Side in theatres, mostly because it doesn't look like an interesting film. I didn't want to see it before it was nominated and I still don't want to see it. A Serious Man releases on DVD tuesday so I will pick it up and watch it when that opportunity presents itself. I'm still waiting for Precious to expand into my area again, and I'm trying to find time to go out to see An Education. Optimistically I can cover those films in the next two weeks and have a good grasp of the state of the awards race for once in my life.

If you have seen any of the films on the Best Picture list I want to know your opinions on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment