Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Top Ten Films of 2009! Part 3 of 2

1.Up (in the Air)For all my hard work I simply could not decide which of these two films I liked better, so naturally they tie for my favorite film of the year. The one that I'm amazed made it into the list at all was Up in the Air which I frankly just saw the other day, but still it left such an impression on me. It made me make the wish that can't come true. I actually wished to know what happened to Ryan Bingham after the film without a sequel ever being released which trust me, it won't be. The ending note of the film is amazing and I couldn't imagine it being anything else but I just feel such a bond with Ryan at the end of this film that I simply must know his ultimate fate. Given the fact that it was just released I don't yet feel comfortable giving a way a single aspect of the plot, because it is too precious an experience to spoil at all.
The movie Up is different because it is kind of a prerequisite for a Disney film to end happily. However they have absolutely no say over what goes on before the movie reaches the end credits. This is probably the most real of the Pixar films to date. I'm not going to say darkest because WALL-E takes that title without a fight, but Up doesn't stray away from the harsher aspects of today's culture. Sure the way some of these things are represented is often comical, but never at the expense of the characters, nor the story. Many shocking aspects of this film make it emotionally resonant in a way Pixar has never before achieved. This is a film that begins with the main character's true love dying, and has his life long idol turn out to be a sociopath. Still it is a heartwarming film above all of Pixar's previous flicks, and that is saying a hell of a lot.

So ultimately these films just struck such an emotional chord inside me, and they felt so in tune with the times that nobody could ignore them. So as expected, they will both likely be nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Now that my list is over I can get back to regular postings which I shall start doing immediately. I'll hand in my review of Avatar as soon as I've seen it a second time. I'm still not quite sure of my own opinion on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment