Saturday, November 14, 2009

Review Mashup

I haven't been able to make any headway on the reviews I've had for the past few weeks. I tried making video reviews but ultimately realized I don't have a good screen presence. Here are my mini reviews from the past few weeks.

Avatar Trailer: I know it's just a trailer, but this was a turning point in the marketing of the new Avatar film. Since it there have been many extended tv spots, and advertising campaigns, most of which have been mostly successful. The look of this trailer is significantly better than the teaser trailer and gives more of the actual plot. Great acting, interesting visual effects, and the added 3D factor could earn this film quite an audience. I was somewhat worried that the dialogue would be a decade old and somewhat corny, which it kind of is but with the right delivery and execution it could still be a passably alright movie. Just don't expect too much from it. My Grade: 3.5 out of 4 stars

Michael Jackson's This is it: It's still out. There is still time for you to see it. Is it the definitive concert film of a lifetime? No. Is it a huge go-out-with-a-bang final tribute to Jackson? No, and Director Kenny Ortega should be commended for that. He didn't try to make the concert something it wasn't meant to be. It was meant to be an enjoyable 2 hour performance that ties in a moral wake up call that we all need to hear. I'm not going to spoil it for anybody, but everybody needs to see this film, or at least the last half hour of it. It has a message that could change the world. The rest of the film is still a worthy look into the friendships MJ made during the practices, and the meaning of the music to him. My Grade: 3.5 out of 4 stars.

The Men Who Stare at Goats: Of all the films that came out the first weekend of November, the only one I wanted to see was the new George Clooney film. It looked like a genuinely fun and funny film and it ultimately was. It's certainly not a best picture calibur film or even an Airplane calibur parody. The worst thing about this film was the director. That can usually kill a film but thanks to a laugh filled script, and well contained, nutty performances from Jeff Bridges and especially George Clooney, this film was able to achieve that status of Worth Seeing. My Grade: 3 out of 4 stars.

Check back around noon tomorrow for my review of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment