Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wong Kar-Wai's 'The Grandmasters' not ready for Cannes

The announcement of the competitors at this year's Cannes Film Festival doesn't seem so far off now, unless you consider two weeks to be a seismic gap. It's my experience that time more often moves too quickly than we want, so it'll be here soon enough, I'm certain. No matter the length, guesswork has already abounded as to which films will make the cut, with it being pretty much a certainty of Abbas Kiarostami's "Like Someone in Love", David Cronenberg's "Cosmopolis", and Jacques Audiard's "Rust and Bone" making prolific debuts, optimistically to favorable impressions. Mind you, I try not to get to wrapped up in others' opinions, but they're usually a good map to flock to.

Of all the guesses, you can factor Wong Kar-Wai's "The Grandmasters" out, since the film will still be in production when the festival is underway. The film may very likely not even be prepped for the fall season. I'd personally count this one out as a possibility for this year, and I'd instead slot it as a likelihood for the 2013 slate. After all this time, we can hope that it will have been worth the wait. I can't imagine a man would spend that long a time working on something for it to prove to be not even well thought-through.

Michael Haneke stands more than simply a good chance at falling in with "Love", which myself amongst many are curious to discover. Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" could go either way in this, since the film is apparently ready for an October release in the prime of award's season. I can't imagine that being a disappointment, and it would be the first for Anderson. Derek Cianfrance's "The Place Beyond the Pines" is one I'm holding out hope for. I'd very much like to see what's been assembled there. Everything in good time. In that time, I'd consider this as good a compass to go by in advance as any.

No comments:

Post a Comment