Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oscar 2010 Predictions: Documentary

This is one of the blindest categories for me to judge, as I've only seen one of these films, heard a great deal about two others, and heard nothing about the remaining two. The documentary race is surely going to be one of the areas I attempt to widen my knowledge of in the coming year. I thought I'd have enough to go by this year after I saw Waiting for "Superman", which had absolutely nothing in its way at the time I saw it. It was a straight road to the Oscar, and then it just wasn't. Definitely one of the biggest shocks on nomination morning, but it doesn't throw the race into too much chaos.

In fact, the clear winner from here seems to be Banksy's Exit Through the Gift Shop. It has received some startlingly unanimous praise, and certainly surprising for a film from such fringe origins as this. The great question is who will accept the award on behalf of Banksy, if not Banksy himself. I wouldn't expect a man of such secrecy to make such a public appearance, but that'd be interesting to say the least. Inside Job seems like it's most likely to be the upset, if there indeed is one. I wouldn't say Restrepo has enough heat going for its position, and I haven't even heard of Waste Land or Gasland. I hope these predictions have been mildly helpful, but I doubt they actually have.

1. Exit Through the Gift Shop
2. Inside Job
3. Restrepo
4. Waste Land
5. Gasland

Will/Should Win: Exit Through the Gift Shop
Potential Upset: Inside Job
Should Have Been Nominated: Waiting for Superman

No comments:

Post a Comment